Monday, November 7, 2011

The art of Journalling

 Today over at the Imagininsce blog we are doing a little feature on the art of Journalling. When this challenge was put to me the first thing that came to mind was, I hate my handwriting. Yes I know it adds a personal touch and all that, but I still can't help but feel like once I write on my page it has been ruined by my disgraceful scrawl.
This has forced me to find many creative ways to get journalling on my pages. People ask me all the time how I print on my pages, so here is one of my favorite techniques


Start by writing your journalling in any word processor, I recommend one with a spell check LOL. When you are finished writing print your journalling on any old scrap of paper, or cheap printer paper.

Next hold the paper that you wish to print on, over the text that you've just printed. This will allow you to see if your journalling will fit and allow you to adjust should you need to go around an object like sticker or button. If it is not what you want re-arrange your typing and reprint on the opposite end of the paper and keep trying until you get it right.


Sometimes with thick cardstock it is hard to see through, so I use a trick where I put it up to the window {during daylight of course} to help me with my placement. Sorry about the doodle, I really was using a scrap piece to print on, but I hope you get the jist. See how you can see through the paper to line up the writing?



When it is just the way you want it, adhere the paper you want your journalling to be on, over the printing on the scrap paper and send it through your printer in the same position. You can use this technique with any scrap of paper or pre-cut design just play around.
Even with all this prep, sometimes printers have bloopers. It may grab in the wrong spot or off to one side and in this case when it happend to me, instead of changing papers, I chose to take advantage of the mistake. My text was originally supposed to be centered and since that did not work I filled the void with some doodling and the pencil embellishment. Sometimes mistakes lead to more creative pages!!


Hope you all have a wonderful day thanks for joining me!!

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the idea. I'd never thought about it. I love your work! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the printer lesson. I never thought about printing on the patterned paper. I always just used the plain or white copy paper. I will have to branch out and give your method a try. I like the effect.
    Your little sheep is adorable, BTW. Reminds me of the Shaun the sheep from Wallace and Grommit. :)
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! How cute is that sheep! And thank you so much for the journaling tip! I'm not a big fan of my handwriting too. Actually, i always thought my handwriting was nice until i tried to journal with it on my layouts or in cards! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia this layout is sooo cute!! I love the pics and the overall design. Thanks for sharing the printer lesson as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lydia,
    Thank you for inspiring me on my blog post today and your sweet comment on my blog.
    Love,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to try this technique in the printer. I usually just use the measurements on the screen and print a "test" but I usually hold out until I can fill an entire sheet, so this would be great to be able to use great paper and be able to print as much or as little as I need/want! Thanks so much for sharing! BTW, I LOVE the sheep! He's 100% adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable layout and LOVE how you used that very busy patterned paper in the background, nice look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...